Professional Capabilities Framework
The Professional Capabilities Framework (PCF) is an overarching professional standards framework, originally developed by the Social Work Reform Board, and now managed and delivered by BASW. The PCF:
- Sets out consistent expectations of social workers at every stage in their career
- Provides a backdrop to both initial social work education and continuing professional development after qualification
- Informs the design and implementation of the national career structure
- Gives social workers a framework around which to plan their careers and professional development.
Browse through the capability descriptions of the framework with our interactive tool. Get started by selecting a level from below :
Alternatively you can Search for Capabilities
The PCF applies to all social workers in England (including independent social workers), in all roles and settings. For social workers in Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, National Occupational Standards for Social Work still apply.
Whether you are a qualified social worker, a student, academic or employer, you need to know about the PCF - find out more on the following pages:
- Understanding the PCF
- Levels within the PCF
- Capabilities within the PCF
- Mapping the PCF against other professional standards
- Assessment at qualifying level