Skip to main content

Social care: paying for care home places and domiciliary care (England)

From April 2015, new rules apply in respect of those who either reside in a care home, or receive domiciliary care (i.e. care at home) and are in need of care and support from their local authority. The rules are set out in the Department of Health’s Care and Support Statutory Guidance.
In summary:

• everyone whose needs are met by the local authority must have a personal budget detailing how much support they are entitled to;
• there is a means-test applied to determine if someone is eligible for local authority financial support towards the cost of their care and support costs;
• where someone is receiving such support, they are expected to contribute their income (except exempt income); however, they should have a specified amount leftover each week for personal spending;
• for someone in a care home, if they meet the eligibility criteria or if the local authority, at its discretion, allows, a person can defer paying for their care and support costs through, in effect, a loan although they may be charged interest (a “deferred payments arrangement”);
• a care home resident’s local authority funding can be “topped-up” to allow them to live in a more expensive care home, although in most cases such top-ups can only be made by a third-party (i.e. not the care home resident).

This note applies to England only.