Quick Guide: Commissioning for transition to adult services for young people with Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
This Quick Guide is intended to help local areas develop their transition processes for young people with Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) from childhood to adulthood.
It works in conjunction with the existing national guidance shown below.
The format is based on the ten key transition principles published by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) in 2016. Local areas can use this as a resource to inform their own practice.
This Guide should be read in concurrence with the NHS England Quick Guide for Health Services for Children and Young People with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and the Children and young people: Quick guide about personal health budgets and Integrated Personal Commissioning.
• Transition from children's to adults' services for young people using health or social care services - NICE guideline (NG43).
• Quality standard [QS140] Published date: December 2016
• Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014
• Part 1 of the Care Act 2014
• Part 8 of the SEND code of practice: 0 to 25 years
• People with Learning Disabilities health checks
• Building independence through planning for transition A quick guide for practitioners supporting young people - NICE