'Polishing the Diamonds': Addressing Adverse Childhood Experiences in Scotland
The aim of this briefing paper is to give an overview of ACEs and to provide an insight into the following questions:
- What does the term Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) mean?
- What harm dose being exposed to Adverse Childhood Experiences cause?
- How does being exposed to Adverse Childhood Experiences cause harm?
- Are there some ACEs that have more of a detrimental effect than others?
- Are some people more likely to be affected by ACEs than others?
- How common are ACEs and can we measure how many people are affected in Scotland?
- What is the economic impact of ACEs in Scotland?
- What can be done about Adverse Childhood Experiences?
On the basis of these considerations, a number of areas for possible Public Health action / intervention are identified for further discussion.