Migration and development: How human mobility can help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
• Migration is one of the defining features of the 21st century and contributes significantly to all aspects of economic and social development everywhere.
• It can have both positive and negative impacts on development outcomes in origin, transit and host countries – depending on the policies in place.
• Migration is a powerful poverty reduction tool for migrants, their families and wider communities and can contribute to delivering the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
• The specific vulnerabilities of migrants are often overlooked in policies and programmes, limiting opportunities for positive development outcomes.
• The implementation of the Global Compact for Migration offers a unique opportunity to be a platform for action to integrate development and migration.