Skip to main content

Disabled children’s services in England

Information for families

Local authorities have a responsibility to help families with disabled children. Many children have additional needs and disabilities, and some are more severely affected than others. Some disabled children and their parents will need practical support at home. This guide explains your right to get the support you need from your local authority through departments like social services, sometimes known as ‘children with disabilities teams’ or ‘children’s services’. The way local authorities work is changing at the moment and here we explain some of the changes you can expect to see.