We are looking for social work volunteers to become peer coaches with BASW Professional Support Service
This is a unique opportunity for BASW members to share your knowledge and compassion with social workers – to help colleagues look after themselves, support their mental and general wellbeing, and help them to make decisions.
BASW will ensure that you are well trained, supported and have a sense of reward by being involved.
Once trained up, you would be asked to offer three months service at 4 hours per month. Your details will be held in an online portal for BASW members to access and book an hour-long slot with you.
You will also be given group supervision by Strengthening Practice and have access to emergency support where required.
What training you can receive
BASW members who wish to become volunteer coaches will take part in a professional induction programme of up to nine hours over three non-consecutive days run by our partners, Strengthening Practice, a relational social care training company with a proven history in coaching and support.
The CPD-accredited induction will help you learn the processes, policies, and paperwork of the PSS, as well as give you some solid training, where required, in the foundations of coaching.
How to volunteer as a peer coach
There are a few simple steps to take to register your interest:
- Complete the online registration form, held by Strengthening Practice.
- You will be asked to indicate that you can give six months service at 4 hours per month.
- Once registered, you will be contacted to provide relevant documentation such as a current DBS
- We will get in touch with you to arrange a full induction and details of how the service works and what is in place to support you
- Once ready to start your details will be held in an online portal for BASW members to access and book an hour-long slot with you.
See our FAQs for more information.