Leading on continuing professional development is one of the most important roles for a professional association. It enables social workers to acquire new knowledge and skills as well as maintain and improve their standards across all areas of their practice.
ProfDE programmes will take account of the diversity in the social work qualifying and post-qualifying education landscape across the UK. The programme will assist social workers to meet the CPD requirements of all the UK regulators. It is part of BASW’s aim to be a ‘one stop’ online information portal for UK social work training and development on its new web site in early 2018.
BASW ProfDE is designed to accommodate the different regulatory requirements across the UK's four nations.
BASW assists social workers in this process in a variety of ways:
- Providing guidance in relation to the regulatory frameworks across the UK and the resources to assist fulfilling these requirements
- Helping you meet your CPD and career progression requirements and aspirations, whatever your role or level, through face to face learning opportunities
- Developing a range of accessible online training modules through ProfDE online
- Ensuring learning and development is rooted in evidence, excellent practice, our code of ethics and commitment to promoting social justice
Courses and masterclasses
BASW is currently developing a programme of activities which include direct training events, video masterclasses and webinars. We will be advertising an ongoing programme of events commencing November 2017 and the topics currently being commissioned include:
- The Legal Interface for Children and Young People
- 6 Day Social Work Leadership Programme
- Management & Leadership for Social Workers short courses
- Social Work Practice Educator
- Assessment and Completing Form F
- Mindfulness and Self Care for Social Workers
- Making Supervision Meaningful
- Preparation for Social Work Management
- Lobbying and Political Influencing Skills
BASW Accreditation scheme
BASW has established an accreditation scheme whereby providers of learning opportunities for social workers are able to demonstrate that they themselves meet a set of nationally agreed and rigorously applied quality criteria.
The scheme is derived from and builds on existing quality regimes (such as QAA and Ofsted, and the earlier CPD endorsement scheme of The College of Social Work) and adds to them a set of values reflecting those which underpin social work practice, which are contained within the BASW Code of Ethics. In this way, the scheme sets a baseline of education and training practice for all those who offer CPD learning and development opportunities to social workers.