Your BASW membership will be due for renewal after each year of membership.
If you pay by monthly direct debit and your circumstances are unchanged you do not need to do anything, your BASW membership will renew automatically.
If your circumstances are different please contact the membership team to let us know so that we can update your details.
Ways to pay
To make a one-off annual payment, log in to the website and
Alternatively, call the membership team on 0121 622 8401 / 8406 to pay by credit or debit card.
Switch to direct debit and pay monthly – call us with your account details to hand on 0121 622 8405. Or, complete the direct debit mandate and return to us in the post.
Changes to your circumstances – make sure you’re protected
If your circumstances have changed, contact us to review your category for the forthcoming membership year.
- Please let us know immediately if the membership category description on the subscriptions page does not reflect your circumstances. Please note changes are only available from the time of notification and not retrospectively.
- If you are retiring, you may be eligible to move to our retired category. Please call us to discuss your options.
- If you are newly qualified but haven’t found employment, contact us to discuss extending your student rate until you find work, up to twelve months. Do let us know if you’re continuing your studies and we’ll amend your membership category for the new membership year.
Changes to personal or work contact details
Social Workers Union (SWU)
- If you would like to take up the opportunity to become part of SWU’s growing union, you can find out more here or call the SWU team on 0121 622 8413 / 8418 to opt in.
- If you are a SWU member and your work details have changed recently, do let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org your membership number, new role, organisation and address, or update your details online in the Member Home area.
Proof of Insurance
When you renew your membership, your insurance will also renew. For working category membership, your new verification of insurance will be available from 1st October. New insurance certificates will be emailed to working category members at the end of September, so please do check your contact details are up to date.
Claim tax back on your membership subscription
If you are a UK tax payer and pay for your BASW membership fee yourself, you can claim tax relief on professional association membership subscriptions. You can claim up to four years’ subscription fees.
How to get in touch
- Call the Membership Team on 0121 622 8401 / 8405 / 8406
- Contact us here quoting your membership number
Your membership matters
We are pleased to report that BASW membership has continued to grow and now stands at 22,000 members.
We are a strong and growing and it is fantastic to connect with so many more members. We thank you for your support for your professional association as we continue to adapt and grow together.
As a BASW member you can access a range of services that protect, support and develop your social work career:
- Uphold the highest professional standards and practice through the BASW Code of Ethics and a range of guidance and policies.
- Personalised support and advice to members who need help with professional and employment issues, including with registration. More members now add to their protection by joining the Social Workers Union.
- Be protected with £5 million of professional indemnity insurance. Insurance certificates will be emailed to working category members at the end of September, so please do check your details are up to date.
- Free webinars and discounts on training courses, events and networking
- Membership of regional groups and branches
- A free copy of Professional Social Work magazine
- Save up to 75% on social work journals, plus discounted shopping deals.
Some of our developments for 2021/22 are to:
- Continue to promote professional working conditions for social workers, learning from Covid and providing resources to shape services, and to lobby government and employers for the support social workers need.
- Support more members with our Professional Support Service and to further develop our Advice and Representation service.
- Develop our commitment and action on Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) and anti-racism.
- Continue to grow our Continuous Professional Development (CPD) programme of conferences, courses, events and online learning - with even more discounts for BASW Members.
- Develop more professional resources and practice guides for social work.
- Grow our networks and connections with other social workers across the UK.
- Build opportunities for coproduction and involvement of people with lived experience.
- Reach more Independent (self-employed) members with the trusted Social Work Employment Service.
- Develop our communications and digital offer, including more improvements to the BASW website and member home area.