Your BASW membership will be due for renewal after each year of membership.
If you pay by monthly direct debit and your circumstances are unchanged you do not need to do anything, your BASW membership will renew automatically.
If your circumstances are different please contact the membership team to let us know so that we can update your details.
Ways to pay
- Call the membership team on 0121 622 8401 / 8405 / 8406 to pay by credit or debit card.
- Switch to direct debit and pay monthly – call us with your account details to hand on 0121 622 8405. Or, complete the direct debit mandate and return to us in the post.
Changes to your circumstances – make sure you’re protected
If your circumstances have changed, contact us to review your category for the forthcoming membership year.
- Please let us know immediately if the membership category description on the subscriptions page does not reflect your circumstances. Please note changes are only available from the time of notification and not retrospectively.
- If you are retiring, you may be eligible to move to our retired category. Please call us to discuss your options.
- If you are newly qualified but haven’t found employment, contact us to discuss extending your student rate until you find work, up to twelve months. Do let us know if you’re continuing your studies and we’ll amend your membership category for the new membership year.
Changes to personal or work contact details
If your home or work details have changed, please contact the membership team, or log-in to update your details online in the Member Home area.
Social Workers Union (SWU)
- If you would like to take up the opportunity to become part of SWU’s growing union, you can find out more here or call the SWU team on 0121 622 8413 / 8418 to opt in.
- If you are a SWU member and your work details have changed recently, do let us know by emailing email@example.com your membership number, new role, organisation and address, or update your details online in the Member Home area.
Proof of Insurance
When you renew your membership, your insurance will also renew. For working category membership, your new verification of insurance will be available from 1st October. New insurance certificates for 2019/20 will be emailed to working category members at the end of September 2019, so please do check your contact details are up to date.
Claim tax back on your membership subscription
If you are a UK tax payer and pay for your BASW membership fee yourself, you can claim tax relief on professional association membership subscriptions. You can claim up to four years’ subscription fees.
How to get in touch or update your details
There are a number of ways to update your details, get in touch and provide feedback.
- CALL the Membership Team on 0121 622 8401 / 8405 / 8406 / 8419
- EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org quoting your membership number
- Log in - using log in button in top right hand corner
- Logging in for the first time? To access our Member Home area and enhanced portal, click on log in on the top right-hand side of the BASW home page. Contact the team if you have any issues logging in.
Your membership matters
As a BASW member you can access a range of services that protect, support and develop your social work career:
- Uphold the highest professional standards and practice through the BASW Code of Ethics and a range of guidance and policies.
- Personalised support and advice to members who need help with professional and employment issues, including with registration. More members now add to their protection by joining the Social Workers Union.
- Be protected with £5 million of professional indemnity insurance. Insurance certificates will be emailed to working category members at the end of September 2019, so please do check your details are up to date.
- Free webinars and discounts on training courses, events and networking
- Membership of regional groups and branches
- A free copy of Professional Social Work magazine
- Save up to 75% on social work journals, plus discounted shopping deals.