BASW supports Gypsy, Roma and Traveller History Month 2022
This year's theme is #WhatMakesAHome ...
The British Association of Social Workers is proud to support Gypsy, Roma and Traveller History Month 2022, an annual awareness month that aims to tackle prejudice, challenge myths and amplify the voices of Gypsies, Roma and Travellers in our society.
This year's theme is 'What Makes A Home'. To mark the start of GRT History Month, BASW Cymru National Director Allison Hulmes has written a powerful personal reflection exploring this year's theme and urging people to take a stand against the Police Act, which is a threat to the culture and way of life of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities around the UK.
"It's bittersweet to be thinking about what home means when we have a law that can ultimately remove the homes of nomadic Gypsies and Travellers."
Resources and ways to get involved
Resources from Friends, Families and Travellers.
- GRT History Month 2022: Find out more
- Ask your MP to stand up for the rights of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities in parliament
- Tool to challenge anti-Gypsyism in politics
Resources and information from BASW
- BASW UK statement on anti-Gypsyism and Gypsy, Roma and Traveller rights
- Police Bill: BASW UK stands in solidarity with Gypsy, Traveller and nomadic people
Videos & webinars