Skip to main content

Social Work England

Social Work England is the new regulator of all social workers in England.

The regulation of social workers in England transfered from HCPC on 2nd December to Social Work England. Both regulators are working together to ensure an effective transfer.

What do social worker registrants need to do?

You do not need to do anything. HCPC will transfer all the information they have, including your direct debit details if appropriate, to Social Work England.

Social work register

The social work register is now on Social Work England’s website and any queries, information updates and concerns will need to be raised with them. They will also take on the management of any live fitness to practice cases.

Social Work England will be in touch with you within a few weeks of the transfer to welcome you to their register.

Any questions?

The HCPC’s social worker web page includes helpful commonly asked questions.

Social Work England’s website now covers their standards and their transition pages cover questions regarding their ways of working following the transfer.

For any enquirers to Social Work England, social workers should send an email to

Since Social Work England’s inception, BASW have been a key stakeholder in the working group tasked with the development of the organisation.

We have consulted with our membership and provided detailed responses to the Social Work England consultations on: appointment rules; rules and standards; Fitness to Practice; Continuous Professional Development (CPD) and Registration.

BASW and Social Work England representatives continue to meet regularly to ensure the input of social workers is integral to the development of the new regulator.