Celebrate World Social Work Day 2019 with BASW
Promoting the importance of human relationships
Tuesday 19th March 2019 - Save the date!
The theme of World Social Work day on 19th March 2019 is 'Promoting the Importance of Human Relationships'.
Join in and share your images of relationships or come along to one of the activities and events across the whole of the UK.
19th March 2019. Kings College, London (KCL), England
A BASW event in association with Making Research Count which explores relationships in all aspects of social work practice
Featuring workshops by social workers and people that use services, on relationship-based practice in learning disability, social work practice with refugees and people experiencing poverty
The day will also see the formal launch of the Capabilities Statement and the CPD Pathway in social work with people with learning disabilities, which have been commissioned by the Department of Health and Social Care. This work is being led by BASW, with Support from Research in Practice for Adults (RiPfa).
- Mark Trewin/Katie Weeks, Office of Lyn Romeo, Chief Social Worker for Adults
- Her Excellency Karen-Mae Hill, High Commissioner, Antigua and Barbuda
- Professor Gillian Ruch, University of Sussex
- Professor Gavin Davidson, Queens University Belfast
- Professor John Devaney, University of Edinburgh
Plus practice led workshops, coproduced with individuals that use services, to explore relationship-based practice:
- Social work in refugee camps and places of armed conflict led by West Nile Consortium;
- Learning disability - led and facilitated by people with lived experience of learning disability (and using statutory learning disability services)
- Anti-poverty practice - by social work students and registered social workers.
Celebrating with SASW - Scottish Association for Social Work
- 18th March: USA Student Visit – SASW are welcoming a group of American social work students from the University at Albany State, State University of New York
- 19th March: SASW Social Work Awards 2019 - The 12th annual SASW social work awards will be held on world social work day at the Ghillie Dhu in Edinburgh (flyer here)
- 20th March: Promoting Human Relationships in Children & Families Social Work: Learning together about the successes, challenges and barriers – This event will mark the first year of SASW’s Community of Practice for children and families social workers. It will also tie into the theme of World Social Work Day 2019 – ‘Promoting the Importance of Human Relationships’.
- 18th March: Breakfast with BASW Cymru - Coffee Cave Haverfordwest. Beginning the week of celebration, join BASW Cymru’s Professional Officer Sian Jones for coffee and conversation. It will be an ideal opportunity to begin to explore the theme around this year’s celebrations.
- 19th March: Round Table Discussion - The Importance of Human Relationships within a Signs of Safety Model.
- Hosted by Pembrokeshire County Council and in collaboration with the Director of Social Services. Sian Jones Professional Officer for BASW Cymru, will be facilitating a round table discussion that continues with this year’s theme of the importance of human relationships. This event will be an opportunity for front line staff to share their experiences of using the Signs of Safety model and it’s strength - based approach in day to day practice.
BASW Cymru social work awards
20th March 2019, Wales.
Holding this year’s Social Work Awards at the Pierhead Building in Cardiff during World Social Work Week will be the perfect opportunity to celebrate a workforce that is going above and beyond to build, strengthen and promote human relationships.
Allison Hulmes National Director of BASW Cymru will be taking part in a collaborative event with Swansea, Cardiff and Houston Universities as part of the International celebration of Social Work. The events will include presentations and opportunities for discussion and debate.
Speakers for this unique event will include:
- Allison Hulmes, our own National Director will introduce the event and the significance of celebrating social work as a global profession.
- Professor Neil Thompson, via video link, will talk about the Importance of Professionalism in Sustaining Relationships in Social Work.
- Nick Andrews; Research and Practice Development Officer for the centre for Innovative Aging in Swansea University will be sharing his work.
- Cynthia Colbert will join the event live from Houston, Texas, work on Helping Individuals and Families Recover from Disasters: A Social Work Response.
- Donal Forrester – Director of Cascade, Children’s Research Centre at Cardiff University will be presenting on ‘what helps in social work, looking at relationships.
19th March 2019. Dundalk, Ireland
BASW Northern Ireland will be holding a one day all-Ireland celebration of social work with our colleagues from the IASW (Irish Association of Social Workers) in the Ballymascanlon Hotel, Dundalk.
The day will be around the theme of ‘Enabling Professionalism’ with Neil Thompson as the keynote speaker and will provide opportunities for workshop participation.