Understanding leadership for wellbeing at work training
Part of BASW's Taught Skills Development Programme
This course is aimed at team leaders, managers and directors and explores how our leadership style can impact both positively and negatively on the well-being of our staff. The session will explore how we can provide challenge, manage and improve performance and instigate change in a positive way that minimises the negative impact of these interventions on the well-being of staff.
We'll look at how we can promote the well-being of staff and encourage a culture that enables help-seeking and supports members of a team that may be struggling. The importance of modelling engaged coping mechanisms, professional resilience and emotional intelligence are explored. Delegates are encouraged to bring and share their own dilemmas and/or examples of good practice.
This training is delivered using an online interactive classroom approach and all delegates will be expected to take part to ensure an effective adult learning experience. Using whiteboards and breakout rooms, a combination of learning methods will be used throughout the day, including trainer presentation and group work in the form of case studies and reflection dilemmas to support application to practice. Local templates and expectations will be embedded in the programme where required and appropriate.
This course will provide participants with the following learning outcomes:
• To enable leaders to consider how their leadership style might positively or negatively impact on the wellbeing of their staff. • To explore how to adopt a leadership style that is strengths-based and enables and promotes well-being • To consider how to maintain and protect the well-being of staff when dealing with issues of performance, challenge and change. • How to promote Wellbeing including self-care, engaged coping, professional resilience and emotional intelligence. • How to model and promote well-being and help-seeking behaviour.
All delegates will need access to a laptop/desktop for the whole session, with a functioning microphone and camera, and a strong stable internet connection to allow effective participation. Delegates will need a quiet place to work, largely free of interruptions so they can unmute to contribute.
Please note – for health and safety reasons it is not appropriate to access these courses from a mobile phone. Whilst tablets can be used; delegates will find a laptop/desktop is easier as functionality on tablets are still limited.
9.00 Log-in – Check your connection, camera & mic (the get a cuppa)
9.30 Introduction to the session and the tech
9.45 The impact of the leadership culture
• Why leadership cultures matter.
• Signs of healthy/unhealthy workplace cultures.
• Embedding a strengths-based approach.
• Reflect on communication that enables and empowers.
11.00 Promoting well-being in challenging circumstances
• Considering well-being during performance management.
• Considering wellbeing in periods of change or challenge.
11.40 Promoting Emotional Intelligence, Professional Resilience and Engaged Coping Mechanisms
• What is it, how do we get it, how do we teach it?
• The importance of modelling emotional intelligence and help-seeking behaviour
12.15 Final Reflections