Safe & Together™ Model CORE Training by SASW
Part of BASW's Taught Skills Development programme
*** Please note rescheduled dates***
Safe & Together™ Model CORE Training is delivered via four eLearning modules blended with four fully facilitated Zoom sessions. We are the only independent organisation currently offering this opportunity in the UK at a competitive rate, with reductions for our members across the UK.
This UK wide child centred model derives its name from the concept that children are best served when we can work towards keeping them safe and together with the non-offending parent (the adult domestic abuse survivor). The Safe & Together™ Model provides a framework for partnering with domestic abuse survivors and intervening with domestic abuse perpetrators in order to enhance the safety and wellbeing of children.
Developed in the United States and in use in parts of Canada, Asia and Australia, a number of local authorities in Scotland are already embedding the tools and approach, and some areas of England have begun to use it. The Scottish Government has outlined a commitment to promote the principles of the model.
CORE provides a skills-oriented foundation for domestic violence-informed practice with the goal of changing professional behaviour.
Evaluations of the model from different parts of the world is available here
Provided by SASW in conjunction with Safe & Together(TM) - take advantage of this great introductory rate.
About this Event
You will recieve access to 4 online learning modules to be completed between each taught session. The modules are delivered via the Safe & Together Institute’s Virtual Academy. Each one consists of reading, videos and tests. You will be expected to complete each online module prior to the Zoom training session - each module takes around 5 hours to complete. Zoom training sessions are an opportunity to consolidate your learning, take part in discussion with other learners, and explore the Model further in the context of your practice setting
4 Zoom training sessions facilitated by Sarah McMillan —
Day 1: Tuesday 1 June 2021 (10am-12pm)
Day 2: Tuesday 8 June 2021 (10am-12pm)
Day 3: Tuesday 22 June 2021 (10am-12pm)
Day 4: Tuesday 29 June 2021 (10am-12pm)
- Local authority / Independent Social Workers
- 3rd sector organisations
- Anyone working with families affected by domestic abuse
Sarah McMillan, Professional Officer, SASW. Sarah has been a social worker since 2000, and has worked as a professional officer with SASW since 2016. Sarah has worked extensively with children and families, both in practice team settings and as a Cedar Project Coordinator, supporting women and children who have experienced domestic abuse. In her role at SASW Sarah has developed work around ‘The Social Work Role in Domestic Abuse’, which has included a series of events with partners across Scotland and on-going awareness raising. Sarah has also been instrumental in setting up Communities of Practice, where social workers can reflect and learn together. Sarah is now a certified trainer in the Safe & Together Model and is keen to help raise awareness of the approach with social workers across the UK.
About Safe & Together™ Model CORE Training
Safe & Together Institute’s CORE Training is designed to provide a skills-oriented foundation for domestic violence-informed practice. Each session provides experiential classroom training focused on the following foundational practice areas:
- Session 1 Assessment
- Session 2 Interviewing
- Session 3 Documentation
- Session 4 Case Planning
You will also be expected to complete an eLearning module each week, four in total
CORE Training explores the importance of:
- Identifying the impact of domestic violence on children and family functioning.
- Fact-based assessment of the perpetrators' behavior patterns.
- Partnering with adult survivors of domestic violence.
- Intervening with perpetrators.
- How domestic violence intersects with other issues like substance abuse and mental health.
Participants of the CORE Training will:
- Learn to use practice tools, such as Mapping Perpetrators’ Patterns and Multiple Pathways to Harm that can be implemented right away to improve assessment of risk, impact on children, survivor protective efforts and essential case decisions.
- Practice interviewing perpetrators, survivors and children through modeling, role play and videos.
- Improve their domestic violence-informed documentation through individual and group exercises.
- Discuss their own current or past cases and explore how the Safe & Together Model could be implemented.
Also included in CORE Training:
- Plans will be developed by participants to support the implementation of the Model to improve their day-to-day practice and to influence their communities and family service systems to become more domestic violence-informed.
- Participants will complete a pre- and posttest to reflect learning, as well as a training evaluation.
- Participants who attend all four sessions, complete all 4 eLearning modules and take the posttest will receive a certificate of completion, which indicates they participated in 22 training hours.
- Participants who complete all four sessions, complete all 4 eLearning modules and score an 80% or higher on the CORE Training posttest will meet one of the prerequisites to become a Safe & Together Model Certified Trainer
As each day of the Virtual CORE takes approximately six hours to complete, you will want to be sure you have completed the content before the corresponding day of the Live Remote 90 minute Training Session.
Please use the Zoom links that have been sent to you in your registration confirmation to join each of these training sessions. These sessions are mandatory so please ensure you attend. Please note that you will need to go through all the material allocated for each day.
Upon registration, you will receive your access code for the Virtual CORE, Days 1,2,3 & 4, which you can access through our Virtual Academy.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email that contains a link to a PRETEST. This pretest is meant to begin the learning process and your score will NOT affect your participation or certificate in any way. It is a multiple-choice questionnaire will only take up to 10 minutes. We ask that you complete it to the best of your ability BEFORE arriving to your first training day. The questions may seem specific, but please read each question carefully and select the answers that seem best or in a way that best matches your own practice.
**No refunds for cancellations within 30 days prior to the training**
BOOK NOW via Eventbrite at this link
BASW members -
Obtain your discount code here (log-in required) or by emailing ProfDE@basw.co.uk, then register at the Eventbrite link above to get our members only price of £250 + £14.24 Eventbrite fee + £52.85 VAT (£317.09)
If you are interested in making a block booking for this training, please contact ProfDE@basw.co.uk to discuss rates.