BASW Black Country Branch Meeting Event: 'Children in Care: Legal to discriminate?'
Should it be illegal to discriminate against children in care, care leavers or care experienced?
This event will explore the argument why ‘care experience’ should be a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010.
Expected learning outcomes are -
- Information for Social Workers and other professionals about what happens to those leaving care including later in life.
- An understanding of the lived experience of people with care experience.
- How social workers may strengthen their practice.
- How local and national policies should change.
This meeting can be counted as a CPD activity and certificates will be available for members electronically after the event.
Samosas and refreshments will be available during the event.
- Carolyne Willow, Article 39
- Ian Gould, Every Child Leaving Care Matters
- Jacqueline McCartney, Care Experienced Adult
- Ben Westwood, Care Experienced Adult and author of Poems from a Runaway