Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) & Austerity
A one-day conference organised by the AOD Special Interest Group to examine the impact of austerity on those who use alcohol and other drugs, and social workers working with them.
The day will offer a mixture of alcohol and other drug practice-based understandings combined with wider social work considerations. It will help explore current context and experiences as well as offering knowledge, tools and resources to enhance effective responses.
The day will be facilitated by Dr Wulf Livingston (Glyndwr University) and include the following sessions: the social work context and response to austerity, messages from practice and workforce issues.
Speakers will include:
- Prof Hugh McLaughlin (Manchester Metropolitan University)
- Dr Jermaine Ravalier (Bath Spa)
- Ashley Riley (CGL)
- Maddie Jennings (Parliamentary Officer, BASW)
- Dr Godfred Boahen on developing as an AOD professional (Policy & Research Officer, BASW)
and other contributions to be confirmed from practitioners and service users.
The event will be of interest to:
- Social workers who work with those experiencing difficulties with their or someone else’s alcohol and other drug use;
- Social work students looking to integrate theory and practice in the area of alcohol and other drugs;
- and, Researchers and campaigners