This 3-hour session is designed for Practice Assessors (PA’s) for Newly Qualified Social Workers (NQSW’s) undertaking their initial post-qualifying year in practice. The session outlines the requirements of Practice Assessors in terms of assessing the progress of their NQSW via observations of practice, written work, service user and professional feedback.
This course explores how to ensure the NQSW is developing as a well-rounded practitioner, able to work with their own team, other professionals, their primary service user and the service user’s wider network. Assessors need to be able to undertake a holistic assessment process and triangulate the evidence and use this to support the NQSW in their learning journey.
- Understand what to look for when undertaking observations, how to record this and how to support the NQSW to draw learning from the experience.
- Understand how to gain meaningful feedback from the team, other professionals, service users and their families.
- Understand how to report progress against the NQSW’s requirements and support them to identify their learning.
A combination of learning methods will be used throughout the session, including lecture, workshop and group work. Interactive and experiential methods, group and pair work, and interactive activities in the form of quizzes, polls, case studies, and reflection dilemmas will be used, to inform participant learning and support application to practice.
This course will be delivered by MS Teams, please ensure your IT equipment is updated and is running audio/visual and the latest version of Teams – please use the joining instructions provided.
9 am - Please log on to MS Teams and join the meeting in the general channel
9. 30 - Introductions, ground rules & Explanation of online methods
9.45 What do we want to assess?
- Practice skills with service users and their families
- Ability to work with colleagues
- Ability to work with other professionals
- Skills of analysis, decision-making & recording
- Values, ethics and self-reflection
COFFEE / SCREEN BREAK
11:00 How do we assess and feedback?
- Feedback from Service Users/Professionals
- Analysis of written work
- Feeding back to promote self-reflection
- Capturing learning needs and a plan to achieve them.
12.15 Feedback & Evaluation
|BASW member Practice Assessor / Supervisor||£ 34.80 (includes VAT of £ 5.80)|
|Non member Practice Assessor / Supervisor||£ 70.80 (includes VAT of £ 11.80)|